Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Travel advice from 1900


“Remember, when you go to a strange country, that its inhabitants have not sent for you... It is scarcely worthwhile to go to Europe for the purpose of proclaiming all the time that America is in every way better; if that is your opinion you may show it by going home and never leaving it again.”
---From European travel for women, by Minnie Jones (Edith Wharton’s sister-in-law).

Thankfully I haven’t traveled with anyone in Europe, American or otherwise, who needed to be reminded of the above advice (which was published in 1900). I’m going to speculate that the people with the worst attitudes about traveling, especially to foreign countries, are also the most disinterested in doing so; they may be obligated to travel for work, or to visit family, or are “dragged” along by an eager significant other or friend. For those of us who treat travel as a privilege, and sacrifice other things in order to seize the opportunities when they come, the desire to enjoy ourselves is so strong that we may end up doing just the opposite of those reluctant travelers and refusing to admit we don't care for a place as much as we wanted to.

This is why I enjoy going places where I have zero expectations; no matter how it turns out, you can always chalk it up to being 'an experience'.