The latest Budget Travel refers to San Francisco as 'the world's most beautiful city' . I, for one, wasn't prepared for its beauty. It is completely unique, like New Orleans, as an American city with a character and style that sets it apart from any and every other American city.
M. and I visited about a year and a half ago, in the spring. After a full day of exploring on foot, we were on our way back to our hotel when we had one of those great serendipitous travel moments. We happened upon the San Francisco Art Institute on Chestnut street and, intrigued by its Spanish colonial style, decided to take a detour. We passed through a courtyard and gallery, where some students were working, and glanced inside. There, covering an entire wall, was a mural. I'm no art history major, but I'd seen the work of Diego Rivera once before in person (at the Detroit Art Museum) and I recognized his style at once.
We took the above picture of the city at night from a rooftop deck of one of the Art Institute's more modern buildings. I don't know if I agree with Budget Travel's assessment of San Francisco, but I can appreciate it.